May 3, 2022
Postdoctoral Fellow Position in Protein Biochemistry
The research team of Professor Dustin Little is seeking a post-doctoral fellow (PDF) with expertise in protein biochemistry, microbiology, cell biology, or equivalent, to contribute to a short term COVID-19 project and a longer term project focusing on post-tranlational mechanism that influence host-pathogen interactions. The research to be undertaken will employ a variety of genetic, biochemical, and cellular based methods to produce and characterize proteins for use in functional assays and or structural studies. The Little lab is part of the Department of Chemistry and Biology at Toronto Metropolitan University located in newly built biomedical research facilities at the MaRS Discovery District (marsdd.com) in downtown Toronto. The laboratory is within one of the highest densities of biomedical research activity in North America, offering an unparalleled environment for networking and collaboration.
In addition to conducting research, the PDF will be expected to take a leadership role in the lab, seek external funding opportunities to support their (future) research, mentor junior members of the lab, and communicate research findings through presentations at scientific conferences and publication in internationally-recognized journals.
The following qualifications and skills are required or preferred:
• PhD (held or to be awarded soon) in a relevant biomedical field (e.g. biochemistry, microbiology, molecular biology, cell biology, immunology, etc.).
• Experience with cloning and molecular biology methods
• Experience with protein purification methods
• Experience with biophysical proteincharacterization or structural biology methods
• Experience with tissue culture methods or Eukaryotic protein expression and purification considered a strong asset
• Ability to conduct independent research, data collection and analysis, and write technical reports, research grant proposals, and peer-reviewed journal articles
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Ability to work in a collaborative and multidisciplinary research group
• A track record of peer-reviewed published research work
The following backgrounds would be considered an asset:
• Knowledge and experience in protein production and purification
• Knowledge and experience in eukaryotic tissue culture work
• Knowledge and experience in data science/analysis
Salary and Benefits
Salary range is $42-50K (CAD) per annum plus benefits based on qualifications. The position is guaranteed for one year, with possibility of renewal conditional to satisfactory performance and funding availability. The expected start date is as early as the position is filled. Due to the nature of this opportunity (COVID-19 related project) priority will be given to applicants that are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada, and for individuals who are available to start immediately (valid work permit).
The Little lab is located at the Toronto Metropolitan University MaRS Research Facility in the heart of Toronto, Canada, one of the most diverse and dynamic cities in the world. As part of Toronto Metropolitan University’s vision, the research team is committed to offer an inclusive, diverse and equitable environment. Thus, candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply for this position. The PDF will have dedicated desk and bench space, and access to infrastructure and financial resources to carry out the proposed research. The PDF will also be encouraged to seek professional development opportunities to benefit the PDF’s personal goals.
How to apply:
Please submit a single document by email with the subject name "PDF Position" to Dr. Dustin Little at firstname.lastname@example.org containing the following:
• Cover letter outlining your prior experiences and achievements and how they meet the qualifications and requirements of the position
• Current CV including a list of publications, presentation, and awards
• Contact information of three professional references.
Please Note: only individuals selected for an interview will be contacted by email.